St Peter’s Italian Church - Chiesa Italiana di San Pietro, London
136 Clerkenwell Road
OS Grid: TQ3128682071 streetmap
St Peter's opened amid great celebration on 16th April 1863, at that time the only church in Britain in the Roman Basilican style.The Irish architect John Miller Bryson worked from plans drawn by Francesco Gualandi of Bologna, which in turn were modelled on the Basilica of San Crisogono in Trastevere, Rome. St Peter's was originally the 'Church Of All Nations' and throughout the 1860s attracted congregations of many nationalities. A Polish chapel was established in the crypt. The excellence of the music attracted people of many faiths.
View in Google Maps Google Earth
English Heritage Listed Building entry
|Image 2867 2000-03-08|
St Peter's Italian Church, London
All Images supplied by Hugh J Griffiths
Images updated 2017-09-13 16:00+00:00.
|Previous in country: St Peter's Catholic Church - London Road, Gloucester, Gloucestershire|
|Next in country: Stanmore Baptist Church - Abercorn Road, Stanmore, Middlesex|
|Previous in state: Second Church of Christ Scientist & Reading Room - Palace Gardens Terrace, Notting Hill Gate, London|
|Next in state: The London Oratory - Brompton Road, London|
|Administration by www.eimagesite.net|