Collegiate Church of St Peter, London
Westminster Abbey, Dean's Yard, Broad Sanctuary
OS Grid: TQ3008279490 streetmap
The building is a Gothic masterpiece, with a mix of architectural styles. The nave, 35 feet wide, is comparatively narrow, but it is the highest in England at 102 feet. Massive flying buttresses help transfer the great weight of the nave.
In 1376 Henry Yevele, master of the English perpendicular style, began to rebuild the nave, and the cloisters, linking the church to the other Abbey buildings, were mainly constructed in the 13th and 14th centuries.
The octagonal Chapter House, built 1253, is noted for its tiled floor and has vaulting supported on a single pier. In 1269 the body of Edward the Confessor was moved to a new shrine in St Edward's Chapel.
The Lady Chapel has a vaulted ceiling and choir stalls dating from 1512.
In 1540 the Abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII but its role as the royal coronation church meant that it was one of the few monastic buildings to escape the destruction of the mid-16th century. The Abbey's West Front Towers, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor, completed the building in 1745.
View in Google Maps Google Earth
English Heritage Listed Building entry
|Image 2811 2002-06-25|
All Images supplied by Hugh J Griffiths
Images updated 2017-09-13 16:00+00:00.
|Previous in country: Collegiate Church of Ottery St Mary - The College, Ottery St Mary, Devon|
|Next in country: Congregational Church of St Mary - St. Mary's Street, Gloucester, Gloucestershire|
|Previous in state: Church of the Holy Trinity with All Saints - Prince Consort Road, South Kensington, London|
|Next in state: Corpus Christi R.C. Church - 1 Maiden Lane, Covent Garden, London|
|Administration by www.eimagesite.net|