The Oratory Birmingham, Edgbaston
Plough and Harrow Road
OS Grid: SP0491586049 streetmap
'Little Rome in Birmingham', the Oratory Church was built between 1907-1910 in the Baroque style of the Church of San Martino at Rome, as a memorial to Cardinal Newman, founder of the English Oratory.
The plan comprises of a sanctuary, nave, transepts, and several chapels, including a fine one to St. Philip Neri A barrel dome roof is a notable feature of the interior. The solemn opening by Bishop Ilsley took place October 9, 1906.
View in Google Maps Google Earth
English Heritage Listed Building entry
|Image 2787 2003-03-29|
|Image 2788 2003-03-30|
|Image 2786 2003-03-29|
All Images supplied by Hugh J Griffiths
Index through the images
Images updated 2017-11-29 16:00+00:00.
|Previous in country: The Old Presbyterian Church - Church Street, Beaumaris, Isle of Anglesey|
|Next in country: The old Church of St Margaret - High Street/Church street, Lidlington|
|Previous in state: Cathedral Church of St Philip - Birmingham Cathedral, Colmore Row, Birmingham|
|Administration by www.eimagesite.net|