Church of St Martin, Exeter
OS Grid: SX9210392655 streetmap
The Churches Conservation Trust now maintain this building.
The church has been very much altered, but there is some of the original cherch's (consecrated 1065) masonry in the walls of the nave.
The church was enlarged and remodelled in the 15th century, and completely refurnished in the 18th century.
The arms of the city and of Bishop Trelawny (a local hero in Cornwall, who was imprisoned for libel by James II) are painted on the gallery.
Monuments dominate the church. An elaborate 18th century monument commemorates Philip Hooper, the benefactor who donated the reredos.
View in Google Maps Google Earth
English Heritage Listed Building entry
|Image 2631 2004-06-18|
Church of St Martin snuggled into a tight corner of the cathedral close, Exeter
|Image 2630 2004-06-18|
interior of Church of St Martin
All Images supplied by Hugh J Griffiths
Index through the images
Images updated 2017-09-13 16:00+00:00.
|Previous in country: Church of St Mark Regents Park - St Mark's Square, Prince Albert Road, London|
|Next in country: Church of St Martin Le Grand - Coney Street, York, Yorkshire|
|Previous in state: Cathedral Church of St Peter - Exeter Cathedral, Cathedral Close, Exeter|
|Next in state: Church of St Pancras - Widecombe-in-the-Moor, Devon|
|Administration by www.eimagesite.net|