[eImageSite.net][Natural World][Places of Worship] 
[login][register][image galleries][search][latest images]
[Systematic index][gb][0003]

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Mursley


St Mary's Close
Mursley
Buckinghamshire
MK17 0HP
United Kingdom
OS Grid: SP8171128554 streetmap
LAT/LONG: 51.9495,-0.8125

The church comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower square, and a south porch.
The building is of stone with a tiled roof and apparently dates from about the middle of the fourteenth century with a later tower. There was a complete restoration in 1867, the chancel being practically rebuilt, but much of the old material was re-used. The south porch is modern.
On the north side of the chancel is a high tomb of Purbeck marble, the front ends of which have sunk traceried panels with shields in their centres. The moulded top slab has a Latin inscription on brass round the edge to Cecily daughter of Sir Edmund Ashfield, kt., and wife of John Fortescue, who died in 1570. Let into the top of the slab is a small brass figure of a lady in a richly embroidered gown, and a plate with a long Latin inscription setting forth the virtues of the lady, the date of her death, and the names of her children, viz., Robert, Francis, William, Thomas, Elizabeth, and Eleanor. On the shield, in the end panel, is a brass inscription recording that the three monuments of the Fortescue family were restored by Thomas Fortescue, Lord Clermont, in 1866. Above the tomb, in a semicircular-headed recess, are the figures of the knight in armour and his lady in a long gown and ruff kneeling on cushions on either side of a prayer-desk. Beneath the figures is a Latin inscription to John Fortescue, kt., privy councillor to Queen Elizabeth and King James I, chancellor of the Exchequer and of the duchy of Lancaster, and master of the wardrobe, who died in 1607. Above is a shield of Fortescue impaling Argent a trefoil sable between three molets pierced gules, for Ashfield. On the south side of the chancel is a marble monument with figures of a knight in armour and of a lady in the costume of a widow with a ruff kneeling at a prayer desk. Above is an inscription to Sir Francis Fortescue of Salden, Knight of the Bath, eldest son of the Right Honourable Sir John Fortescue and 'Sicilie' his wife (see tomb opposite), and to Grace his wife, daughter of Sir John Manners of Haddon, second son of Thomas Earl of Rutland, and of Dorothy daughter and co-heir of Sir George Vernon, kt. Below is a panel with the kneeling figures of six sons, two of whom bear skulls, and of four daughters, two of whom also hold skulls. Above is an achievement of arms with a shield with the arms of Fortescue impaling Manners. There are two helms crested with the Fortescue tiger and the peacock of Manners.
The oak pulpit (apparently seventeenth century) is hexagonal, one side being open. The faces are panelled in two heights and carved, and the cornice is dentilled. The pulpit is carried on the original turned shaft, which has carved scrolls and base.

View in Google Maps Google Earth
English Heritage Listed Building entry
Image 7072 2008-07-17
St Mary, Mursley
[Church of St Mary the Virgin][Church of St Mary the Virgin]Image 7814 2009-03-06
St Mary, Mursley
Image 7812 2009-03-06
St Mary, Mursley
[Church of St Mary the Virgin][Church of St Mary the Virgin]Image 7811 2009-03-06
St Mary, Mursley
Image 7809 2009-03-06
St Mary, Mursley
[Church of St Mary the Virgin][Church of St Mary the Virgin]Image 7808 2009-03-06
St Mary, Mursley
Image 7807 2009-03-06
St Mary, Mursley
[Church of St Mary the Virgin][Church of St Mary the Virgin]Image 7806 2009-03-06
St Mary, Mursley
Image 7076 2008-07-17
St Mary, Mursley
[Church of St Mary the Virgin][Church of St Mary the Virgin]Image 7075 2008-07-17
St Mary, Mursley
Image 7074 2008-07-17
St Mary, Mursley
[Church of St Mary the Virgin][Church of St Mary the Virgin]Image 7073 2008-07-17
St Mary, Mursley
Image 7071 2008-07-17
St Mary, Mursley
[Church of St Mary the Virgin]

Picture credits

All Images supplied by Hugh J Griffiths

Index through the images

Images updated 2017-11-29 16:00+00:00.

 Previous in country: Church of St Mary the Virgin - Parson's Lane, Ewelme, Oxfordshire
 Next in country: Church of St Mary the Virgin - The Street, Beachamwell, Norfolk
 Previous in state: Church of St Mary the Virgin - Leighton Road, Church End, Edlesborough
 Next in state: Church of St Michael and All Angels - High Street North, Stewkley, Buckinghamshire
Copyright © churchimagesite.info 2003-2017. All Rights Reserved. E&OE
Images copyright of their respective owners - see our Copyright Page
2017-12-16 07:01+00:00
Terms of Use
Administration by www.eimagesite.net
contact