[eImageSite.net][Natural World][Places of Worship] 
[login][register][image galleries][search][latest images]
[Systematic index][gb][0001]

old Church of St Mary the Virgin, Clophill


Clophill
Bedfordshire
United Kingdom
OS Grid: TL0918938852 streetmap
LAT/LONG: 52.0373,-0.4096

Now a ruin, the church was built mainly in approximately the fifteenth century, possibly on the site of a former leper colony/hospital. The village migrated further down the hill following a plague. In 1848 the new St. Mary's Church was built in the centre of the village. The old church was abandoned in the 1950s although burials still take place in a new cemetery next to the old graveyard.

View in Google Maps Google Earth
English Heritage Listed Building entry
Image 7704 2008-12-17
Old St Mary's Clophill
[old Church of St Mary the Virgin][old Church of St Mary the Virgin]Image 7703 2008-12-17
Old St Mary,s Clophill
Image 7702 2008-12-17
Old St Mary,s Clophill
[old Church of St Mary the Virgin][old Church of St Mary the Virgin]Image 7701 2008-12-17
old St Mary, Clophill

Picture credits

All Images supplied by Hugh J Griffiths

Index through the images

Images updated 2017-09-20 16:02+00:00.

 Previous in country: York Baptist Church - 4-6 Priory Street, York, Yorkshire
 Previous in state: The old Church of St Margaret - High Street/Church street, Lidlington
Copyright © churchimagesite.info 2003-2017. All Rights Reserved. E&OE
Images copyright of their respective owners - see our Copyright Page
2017-12-15 08:28+00:00
Terms of Use
Administration by www.eimagesite.net
contact